Beyond 20/20: Testing & Treating Complex Vision Problems (Video)
In this five-minute video, Dr. Shapiro of the Center for Unlimited Vision discusses vision problems that typically go undetected, are misdiagnosed or ignored.
Dr. Shapiro believes the medical eye care system is broken because of its focus solely on achieving “perfect” (20/20) vision. Saying that 20/20 is “perfect” vision is an absolute myth. This misconception undermines your visual welfare because it fails to identify issues with eye movement, eye coordination, depth perception, eye muscle strength, focusing power, peripheral awareness and a host of other necessary skills.
Dr. Shapiro believes that there is an epidemic of complex vision problems. Countless children and grown-ups alike are needlessly suffering from visual problems that affect not only their eyes, but their body and state of mind as well. The Center for Unlimited Vision goes beyond simple 20/20 vision testing to evaluate all visual skills. This leads to a more holistic understanding of how your vision interacts with your body and overall state of health.
Some examples of issues that can be directly caused by visual problems include:
- Headaches including migraines caused by eye strain
- ADD and ADHD (attention issues)
- Reading disabilities
- Posture: head tilt, shoulder slump, curved spine
- Muscle tension: facial, shoulder and neck
- Digestive problems
- Car or motion sickness
- Concentration problems
- Being overwhelmed by crowds or visual stimulation
All of the above issues are amenable to treatment with the techniques used at the Center for Unlimited Vision. The Center also regularly treats patients with eye strain, pain in and around the eyes, pressure build-up, crossed eyes, lazy eye (amblyopia), double vision, focusing issues and challenge with light sensitivity.
About Dr. Shapiro
Dr. Joseph Shapiro is a behavioral optometrist, and optimist! He is the Director of the Center for Unlimited Vision in New York City, a vision therapy center. The Center for Unlimited Vision identifies and treats complex vision problems that commonly and, unfortunately, go undetected. Contact the Center today for a more holistic “look” at your vision.
Dr. Shapiro — an expert in functional vision testing and vision therapy — is well-received in both the holistic and traditional medical circles. He has served as a staff member of the Chiefs of Ophthalmology of Manhattan Eye and Ear and Lenox Hill Hospitals and served as a staff member and clinical supervisor at the New York Light House Low Vision Service.
Dr. Shapiro provides:
- Comprehensive Eye Examinations for All Ages, including Infants and Preschoolers
Come to Dr. Shapiro’s office for a truly thorough examination. Did you know that 20/20 eyesight is not perfect and that a sophisticated visual analysis can require 21 different tests or more! Find out more about Dr. Shapiro’s extraordinary exams.
- Contact Lens Fitting and Follow-up, including Bifocal, Disposable and Astigmatism Lenses
- Non-surgical correction of Mild to Moderate Nearsightedness and/or Astigmatism with Corneal Molding (Orthokeratology)
- Treatment of Post-Traumatic Vision Syndrome from Head Injury as well as the Neuro-Optometric Treatment of Patients with Stroke, Whiplash, Developmental Delays, Cerebral Palsy, Multiple Sclerosis, etc.
- Treatment of Wide Range of Vision Disorders with Photoretinology (Phototherapy, Colored Light Therapy, White Light Flicker Therapy)
Dr. Shapiro is the only optometrist in Manhattan who practices Photoretinology — the branch of ocular science that uses varying light frequency therapy.
- Vision Therapy for All Ages
- Treatment for Learning-related Vision Problems, including ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Reading, and Tracking Problems, etc.
- Treatment for Strabismus (eye turns) and Amblyopia (lazy eye)
- Treatment for Stress-related Visual Problems, including Nearsightedness, Headaches or Computer Vision Syndrome
- Sports Vision Correction and/or Improvement
- Ortho-K Contact Lenses – the non-surgical method to improve vision while you sleep. What is Ortho-K?